Monday, February 13, 2012

KoKomo Chick'n

This is one of my all-time favorite dinners. The recipe comes from a friend of my mom’s and has been enjoyed in my family since I was very young. To be honest, I never knew what was in this dish until my mom and I started going through some of her recipes last weekend. I thought it was made from magic. My mom would go into the kitchen and about 30 minutes later the smell of heaven would be in the air. Ok, obviously I’m a fan. This recipe originally used chicken, so it was an easy fix for me to use seitan instead. I could serve this dish to a family member who has had it a million times and I bet they wouldn’t even be able to tell that the chicken had been switched for seitan. Hope you love it as much as I do. 
KoKomo Chick’n
Serves 2-3
Ingredients:
2 8 oz packages seitan
2 tbsp minced garlic
15 oz can of tomato sauce
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 the tomato sauce can of water
1 cup fresh basil leaves
2 cups long-grain brown rice
Preparation:
  • Preheat a deep, non-stick frying pan on medium heat. 
  • Add seitan and garlic, cook for 4 minutes.
  • Add tomato sauce, brown sugar, curry powder, water and basil. Stir together, cover and let cook 45-60 minutes.
  • If you are using long-grain brown rice, which takes about 55 minutes to cook, prepare according to package directions. 
  • When Chick’n and rice are both done (approximately 1 hour) scoop a cup of rice onto a plate and serve KoKomo Chick’n over rice. 
*This recipe can be easily doubled for more people or to save leftovers for a quick weekday lunch/dinner*

No comments:

Post a Comment